Commercial Extinguisher Inspection Services Throughout New England
A fire extinguisher is an easy and cost-effective tool to have at your disposal in case a fire breaks out at your business. If the fire is spotted early enough, a fire extinguisher can often stop it at its source, preventing costly damage and possible injuries. But if your fire extinguishers are not charged or operating properly, they are useless and may cause unnecessary delays during an emergency.
Keep your fire extinguishers charged and ready for an emergency with regular inspections from our experts at Fire Protection Team. We have been serving businesses in New England since 1992, providing a wide range of fire protection products and services, from fire alarm and sprinkler installations to alarm monitoring and fire extinguisher services.
Why Are Fire Extinguisher Inspections Important?
It is easy to install a fire extinguisher, then simply count on it to be ready and working when you need it. But over time, fire extinguishers can leak, hoses can degrade, tanks can corrode and instructions can be painted over or lost.
Regular inspections help to make sure your fire extinguishers are dependable and ready when necessary. The National Fire Protection Association requires that annual fire extinguisher inspections be performed by a qualified professional, and it is also advisable to check them yourself monthly.
Fire extinguisher inspections help your business to avoid:
- Extinguishers that are depressurized when you need them.
- Using the wrong extinguisher for the job due to missing labels.
- Misuse of the extinguisher due to missing instructions.
- Malfunctioning or damaged fire extinguishers.
- Fines or citations due to non-functioning fire extinguishers.
Fire Extinguisher Inspections From FPT
Working fire extinguishers are a critical first line of defense in an emergency, and at Fire Protection Team, we can make sure your fire extinguishers are inspected, ready, and in compliance with all local, state and federal fire codes. Our inspection process includes:
- Making sure the extinguishers are mounted properly, accessible, and easy to see.
- Ensuring the instructions are clear, legible and permanently affixed nearby.
- Checking for damage like cracked hoses and nozzles, corroded tanks, or broken valves.
- Checking that the pressure gauge is orientated correctly, legible and indicating sufficient charge.
- Measuring the weight to verify a fully charged extinguisher.
- Ensuring that the appropriate fire extinguisher class is used according to the hazards at each location.
- Tagging the extinguishers to indicate they have been inspected.
We will also perform full hydrostatic testing for water, CO2 and class K extinguishers every 5 years and every 12 years for dry chemical extinguishers. Should any of your fire extinguishers fail the inspection process, we also offer new fire extinguishers and accessories.
Fire Extinguisher FAQs
Most fire extinguishers need to be refilled or refurbished every 5-6 years. It’s also important to check your fire extinguishers on a monthly basis in case you need to use it unexpectedly.
It can be difficult to determine if a fire extinguisher is safe, but a common indicator is the pressure gauge. Ensure that the pressure gauge is pointing to the green zone between the two different red zones. If you see that the gauge is in either of the red zones, this means that the fire extinguisher needs to be serviced as soon as possible.
Yes, fire extinguishers need to be inspected and given regular maintenance from a fire protection contractor. A contractor will be able to catch any safety issues during fire extinguisher inspection.
Call Today for Fire Extinguisher Services in New England
From fire extinguisher inspections to sales, installation, repairs and recharging, Fire Protection Team is your one-stop shop for all your fire extinguisher needs. We can offer your business the advice, products and services it needs to keep your employees safe and your investment protected.